Metropolitan Nikodim offers condolences to victims of Zhytomyr attack
The head of the Zhytomyr Eparchy expressed condolences to the families of police officers killed and others injured in the Russian attack.
Metropolitan Nikodim of Zhytomyr and Novohrad-Volynskyi expressed condolences to the families of those killed in the Russian attack on Zhytomyr on August 19, 2026. The hierarch published his message on Facebook.
Metropolitan Nikodim noted that, as of the morning of August 20, three police officers had been reported killed and more than 50 people injured.
“With deep pain and sorrow in our hearts, we offer our sincere condolences to the families and loved ones of the innocent victims who lost their lives in the tragic attack. They were among those who gave their lives while carrying out their duty and protecting civilians,” the UOC hierarch said in his message of condolence.
The statement also assured the bereaved of prayers for the repose of the dead and for comfort for their families.
“We pray to the Merciful God that He may receive the souls of the departed into His heavenly dwellings and grant them eternal rest,” the hierarch said.
His Grace Met. Nikodim also called on the faithful to intensify their prayers for peace and an end to the war, as well as for the swift recovery of all those injured.
As the UOJ reported, the Archbishop of Izium expressed condolences to the families of those killed in Pechenihy.